Wednesday, March 10, 2010

O.K., so this is where I'm at...
Absolutely stuck here. Though the solution seems simple enough, I haven't done a thing about it!

James 1:22 "But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves."

Romans 2:13 "for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

James 1:25 "But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does."

I do not want to be merely a "hearer" of the Word; I want to be a "doer"! But the sad fact of the matter is: I only memorize Scripture, I do not live it!

I must tell this wonderful analogy by Francis Chan. See if this sounds familiar to you.

I am paraphrasing:

[ My daughter knows better than to come back to me after I have told her to clean her room and say, "Dad, I thought about what you said. I even memorized it in Greek. Later I'm going to have my friends over and we are going to discuss what it would look like to clean my room." ]

I would have never told my dad that. But for some reason, I think that it's O.K. when Jesus tells me to do something.
How in the world, when I am standing before HIM and giving an account of all I did for him, can I look at Him, with the scares in His hands, and maybe even the ones on His brow, and tell Him all of the little memory verses I know???
Just think about that.

Now I am not belittling memorizing the Holy Scriptures. You can not be a doer of the Word without first knowing the Word. But we are merely hearers. I can't think of anyone that I would call a "radical" for Jesus Christ. To me, someone who is radical is someone who lives like Jesus.

So the question for me becomes, What do I do? What is it going to take for my life to be radically changed for the name and renown of Jesus Christ?

No comments: